Resurrecting the Async Open Discussion

Roman Arutyunyan arut at nginx.com
Tue Aug 3 09:14:59 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 07:33:20AM -0400, NCviQwilt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a follow up on the discussion started 3 years ago at:
> https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?29,280794,280794
> I can't respond at that forum or topic, so I hope this is the right place.

Actually, it would be really nice to continue the discussion in that thread.
You don't need the forum for that.  Just write to nginx-devel mailing list:

> I'm working at Qwilt, and we too have experienced the 999th percentile
> problem as discussed in Cloudflare's blog post.
> We were happy to see an official patch from Nginx Dev, but sad to see the
> old discussion has since died with no official release.

The reason why it died is we got no feedback from users showing the patches
worked for them.  A few people showed interest, but eventually sent no
feedback.

> I've started working on applying the patch from the old discussion, but the
> integration isn't smooth since the source code has progressed since then
> (especially with regards to the static module).

I've updated the series.  Not it applies to the latest nginx source code.

http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2021-August/014194.html

> We'll keep working on it,
> but we're wondering if there are any plans for future official support for
> this feature?
> Otherwise any Nginx upgrade would be difficult.

The best way to make sure the feature is supported is to commit the patches.
As I said before, we need more feedback for that.  Until then we'll try to keep
the patches up-to-date.  But this may become harder as the source code changes.

> We'd be more than happy to help with the testing of the patch.

We'll be happy to get feedback from you.

> Best regards,
>
> Noam
>
> Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,292104,292104#msg-292104

Roman Arutyunyan