New install; no error messages; but website.conf in /etc/nginx/conf.d is being ignored

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Aug 31 06:29:37 UTC 2021

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 06:04:29PM -0400, Les Dunaway wrote:

Hi there,

> When I send request, I get the default page

When your nginx is started, one specific nginx binary is used, and it
might have a "-c" command-line argument to name the config file to use. If
it does not have a "-c", then it uses the binary built-in default value.

If you run that nginx binary (perhaps /usr/sbin/nginx) with the same
"-c" argument, and an extra "-T", and pipe the output through "grep
configuration", that should show you one line for each file that is
actually being read.

If that does not show your website.conf, then for some reason it is not
being read at all.

Alternatively: do your nginx logs show that the request that you send
is getting to this nginx?

If your browser resolves the domain name to a different address, then it
will not be talking to this nginx; if your browser has cached a previous
response to this request, then it may not be talking to this nginx.

They might hint at the next place to look to find the solution.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org