nginx-1.21.5

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Dec 30 08:03:04 UTC 2021

Hello!

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 11:30:04PM -0500, George wrote:

> Thanks for PCRE2 support!
>
> From what I read Nginx 1.21.5 will default to PCRE2 if found or fallback to
> PCRE if not
>
> You can disable PCRE2 default by passing --without-pcre2 flag - which works
> fine and
>
> ldd $(which nginx)
>
> shows
>
> libpcre.so.1 => /usr/local/nginx-dep/lib/libpcre.so.1 (0x00007f86c7445000)
>
> But is the same true, if you set --without-pcre flag with PCRE2 library
> installed and detected? As that seems to end up with nginx failing to
> configure
>
> ./configure: error: the HTTP rewrite module requires the PCRE library.
> You can either disable the module by using --without-http_rewrite_module
> option or you have to enable the PCRE support.
>
> Why is it looking for PCRE when PCRE2 is available?

The "--without-pcre" configure option completely disables usage of
all versions of the PCRE library, both the original PCRE library
and PCRE2.

Currently there is not option to disable the original PCRE library
while still using PCRE2.  Note though that the original PCRE
library is not used as long as PCRE2 is available.  That is, the
only potential difference such an option might introduce is what
happens if PCRE2 is not available: either nginx configure will
fail, or fallback to using the original PCRE library.

http://mdounin.ru/