reverse proxy: do I really have to store ssl certificates on the proxy ?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Jan 11 23:49:18 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 04:36:28PM -0500, iw2lsi wrote:

Hi there,

>   I'm trying the example reported here
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_ssl_preread_module.html but I'm
> getting an error:
>
> nginx: [emerg] "proxy_pass" directive is not allowed here in
> /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default.conf:16

"proxy_pass" must be inside "server{}", which must be inside "stream{}".

"map" also lives inside "stream{}".

The full set of stream modules can be seen at http://nginx.org/en/docs/;
scroll down to the "ngx_stream_*" section of the module list. Then you
can click in to the individual pages to see the context of each directive.

Alternatively, start from http://nginx.org/en/docs/dirindex.html and
look for the directive there; in this case you'll want "proxy_pass
(ngx_stream_proxy_module)", which should show what is needed.

If that does not show you the answer, copy-paste the config (redacted
appropriately) and you may get more help here.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org