Problem with aliases

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri Jul 2 07:50:43 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 04:37:56PM -0400, yosef wrote:

Hi there,

> unfortunately I still cant get this working, now the browser is not
> downloading the file, instead is showing me this message "No input file
> specified" let me show you what my code looks like now:

* what request do you make? (Probably something like "/proj1/index.php".)

* what file on your filesystem do you want your fastcgi server
to read, to process that request? (Probably something like
"/var/www/proj1/public_html/index.php".)

* what "fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME" value does nginx send to your
fastcgi server?

That last one is probably "what is inside snippets/fastcgi-php.conf?"

Note that every fastcgi server is (potentially) different, and will
read the "param" values sent in their own ways. But commonly, if
exactly one SCRIPT_FILENAME is sent, that is what is used.

You probably want something like

  fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $request_filename;

but other options exist, depending on details.

> location ^~ /proj1 {
> alias /var/www/proj1/public_html;

Somewhat unrelated -- that will work, but it is probably better to add
a / to both lines, so that they are

  location ^~ /proj1/ {
    alias /var/www/proj1/public_html/;

so that someone requesting /proj12/ will not accidentally be shown things
inside /var/www/proj1/public_html2/

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org