QUIC and HTTP/3 roadmap blog post

Vladimir Homutov vl at nginx.com
Tue Jul 13 13:18:04 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 06:55:14PM +1000, Mathew Heard wrote:
> Hi Maxim,
>
> Really interesting read.
>
> Do you have any plans for resolving the SIGHUP causes session closure
> issues that currently exist with nginx-quic? The closure of long lived
> connections has been a thorn in the side of people doing HTTP/1.1 web
> sockets (and probably HTTP/2 push) for many years. With HTTP/3 (QUIC)
> it's even more pronounced.
>
> From my point of view its the single biggest obstacle to the QUIC
> upgrade. as a user.
>
> Regards,
> Mathew

Hi Mathew,

connections are handled in worker processes, and reload means running
new worker processes, that don't have state for existing connections.
QUIC doesn't change how nginx handles connections, so there are no
specific plans to change it.

Can you please elaborate how HTTP/3 makes things worse from your
perspective?