Error 504

Baptiste b4too at pm.me
Tue Sep 14 11:40:35 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm getting an error 504 for a day with docker container heimdall though it was working properly for some days before that. It's still accessible locally with ip:port but alas nothing I could do to make it work with server name.

I asked for help in heimdall support section but in case it is nginx related I ask here also.

What I tried :
reboot the host
removed etc/nginx/ then apt purge nginx nginx-common nginx-full + reinstall them along with conf files
same for /etc/letsencrypt and issuing the certificates again
change the port
change fqdn
removed the containers and reload the stack with the binded volumes still there then without

This is the host nginx error.log I'm getting repeatedly :

2021/09/14 11:19:14 [error] 168423#168423: *1 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while SSL handshaking to upstream, client: remote_ip, server: server_name, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "https://local_address:local_port", host: "server_name", referrer: "FQDN"

Also, all other sites are working properly, which is why I doubt it is necessary to enhance the timeout since any other request is served properly.

Does anyone experienced this ?