ssl_stapling_verify: do we need 'ssl_trusted_certificate' if the intermediate certs are present in ssl_certificate?

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:42:01 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 9:24 PM Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 12:47:58PM +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
>
> > http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_ssl_module.html#ssl_stapling
> > has a note about not needing 'ssl_trusted_certificate' if
> > ssl_certificate has intermediate certificates. I do not see a similar
> > note for ssl_stapling_verify
> > (http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_ssl_module.html#ssl_stapling_verify)
> > though. Is this also the same?
>
> No.  To verify OCSP response OpenSSL needs a full chain up to a
> trusted root certificate.

Ok. I am reading the description for ssl_stapling again, and am
wanting to clarify a few things.

if "ssl_stapling on":
  if the certificate of the server certificate issuer is present in
<ssl_certificate>, we do not need to have <ssl_trusted_certificate>
  otherwise <ssl_trusted_certificate> must have the certificate of the
server certificate issuer

if "ssl_stapling_verify on":
   if <ssl_certificate> has the full chain, we *still* need
<ssl_trusted_certificate>

Is my understanding correct?

thanks,
-jf