Can nginx act as a load-balancer for IBM Aspera?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Thu Sep 30 16:42:36 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 02:59:26PM -0400, blason wrote:

Hi there,

> I am trying to build a reverse proxy as well as load balancer using below
> link. Can someone please confirm if below scenario can be achieved?
> I would really appreciate if someone can go through the links and wanted to
> understand if sticky or persistence connection can be possible with Nginx
> LB?

Untested, but it looks like using "hash" with the $remote_addr for both
http and stream, should probably do what you want for this "persistence".

https://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_upstream_module.html#hash
https://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#hash

> https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/aspera-faspex/4.4.1?topic=systems-expected-load-balancer-behavior

If you have a system that you can test against, it should hopefully be
clear whether the traffic is going to where you want it to go.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org