Nginx segfault - `is_closing_session(): no DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in environment`

petecooper nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Tue Aug 16 09:49:59 UTC 2022

petecooper Wrote:
> Hello.
> I have a single-digit fleet of Ubuntu servers, all running a similar
> configuration:
>
>   * Ubuntu 20.04LTS, current kernel via `apt`
>   * Nginx 1.23.1 from source, with 3rd party modules
>   * PHP 8.0 or 8.1 from source
>
> One of the servers has recently had issues with what appears to be an
> Nginx segfault, which manifests as high CPU load, repeated `apport`
> processes spawning, and errors written to `apport.log`. The other
> servers have a similar config, but are not affected by this issue.

[…]

The issue is resolved with the removal of third party module `nchan` [1]. A
recent release resolved a reported issue with Nginx 1.23, but given the
number of modules I am using it's possible there may be a conflict with
another module.

Thank you Sergey A Osokin for your assistance and expertise.

[1] https://github.com/slact/nchan

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,294944,294952#msg-294952