nginx Restart Issue after Cert-Update (Letsencrypt)

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Dec 8 19:59:29 UTC 2022

Hello!

On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 04:11:11AM -0500, anfassl wrote:

> we've got a strange issue with nginx and letsencrypt.
> - A daily job is configured to run "certbot renew", which updates all the
> certs on a webserver (round about 30 certs)
> - After the certbot run we do issue a nginx reload
>
> Issue: The certs aren't updated in nginx
> We've than added a hard nginx stop/start in the script. But this doesn't
> cure the problem.
> When issueing the stop/start on the command line, all is fine.
>
> Any idea, what is the cause for this?
> I've did lots of googling, and searching here in the forum as well, but
> without any hint.

Try looking into nginx error log, the one specified at the global
level.  If there is an issue with reloading configuration, nginx
will complain there.

It should also help to make sure that nginx was actually asked by
your script to reload.  You'll have to set the logging level to
"notice" though, see http://nginx.org/r/error_log for details.

http://mdounin.ru/