OAuth/OpenID

Paul paul at stormy.ca
Tue Feb 15 23:03:05 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-15 3:18 p.m., Michael Powell wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:08 AM Sergey A. Osokin <osa at freebsd.org.ru
> <mailto:osa at freebsd.org.ru>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Michael,
>
>     hope you're doing well.
>
>     On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 08:41:08AM -0500, Michael Powell wrote:
>      > Hello,
>      >
>      > Setting up some web sites, etc, looking into alternatives to Amazon
>      > Cognito, for instance, for user and/or 'identity' management,
>     integration
>      > with 3P OAuth providers, i.e. Google, Facebook, etc. As I
>     understand it,
>      > nginx provides these features, and more?
>
>     Yes, it's possible to setup OIDC flow with NGINX products.  Please note
>     an Identity Provider (IdP) needs to be configured as well, and that one
>     is a separate product.
>
> So it is not 'free' or even 'open source'? What is the pricing/cost
> behind that?

This is probably going well beyond the normal scope of this list, but
have you looked at open source openLDAP?  It might do what you want, but
might prove time-consuming at your end to set it up.  Up to you to
decide how your inhouse costs compare to "not free" outside expertise.

> Trying to inquire about that through the NGINX site, but my
> email is not allowed there apparently

Well... gmail in not exactly a business address. Have you tried
old-fashioned telephone at 1-800-915-9122?

Paul
---
Disclaimer: I have absolutely no monetary affiliation whatsoever with nginx

We are effectively early stage
> startup so it is what it is. Is there another way to obtain pricing for
> our cost purposes? Thank you...
>
>     Here's the reference implementation of OpenID Connection integration
>     for NGINX Plus, [1].  It uitilizes some NGINX Plus features, such as
>     auth_jwt directive, [2] from the ngx_http_auth_jwt_module, [3],
>     keyval [4]
>     and keyval_zone [5] directives from ngx_http_keyval_module [6] module,
>     and NGINX JavaScript module, [7].

>     <https://github.com/nginxinc/nginx-openid-connect>
>     [2]
>     https://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_auth_jwt_module.html#auth_jwt <https://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_auth_jwt_module.html#auth_jwt>