Nginx performance data

Paul paul at stormy.ca
Mon Jan 10 23:40:29 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-10 12:47 p.m., James Read wrote:

> I've been doing some preliminary experiments with PACKET_MMAP style
> communication.

With apologies for "snipping", and disclaimer that I am not an nginx
developer, only a long term user.

So, MMAP has given you "preliminary" analysis of what your kernel can do
with your hardware. Would you care to share, in a meaningful manner, any
results that you feel are relevant to any tcp processes - perhaps nginx
in particular?

> I'm able to max out the available bandwidth using this
> technique.

Available bandwidth? Please define. Is this local, or WAN? Are you on a
56k dial-up modem? or do you have multiple fail-over, load-balanced
fibre connectivity?  MMAP to the best of my knowledge, never claimed to
be able to simulate live (live in the sense 'externally processed IP')
tcp/http connections, so what "recognized benchmark" did you max out?

Could Nginx be improved in a similar way?

"improved"? From what and to what? Starting point? End-point? Similar to
what "way"?

You write (below) "a large number of small pages to a large number of
clients..." Large number? 10 to what exponential?  I've just looked at
an nginx server that has dealt with ~88.3 GB/sec over the last few
minutes, and cpu usage across 32 cores is bumbling along at less that
3%, temperatures barely 3 degrees above ambient, memcached transferring
nothing to swap.

Either you have badly explained what you are looking for, or, heaven
forfend, you're trolling.

Paul.
Tired old sys-admin.

> James Read
>

>     Regards
>     Alex
>
>      > On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 6:33 PM James Read
>     <jamesread5737 at gmail.com <mailto:jamesread5737 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >     On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 11:56 AM Anoop Alias
>     <anoopalias01 at gmail.com <mailto:anoopalias01 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      >         This basically depends on your hardware and network speed etc
>      >
>      >         Nginx is event-driven and does not fork a
>     separate process for handling new connections which basically makes
>     it different from Apache httpd
>      >
>      >
>      >     Just to be clear Nginx is entirely single threaded?
>      >
>      >     James Read
>      >
>      >
>      >         On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 5:48 AM James Read
>     <jamesread5737 at gmail.com <mailto:jamesread5737 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      >             Hi,
>      >
>      >             I have some questions about Nginx performance. How
>     many concurrent connections can Nginx handle? What throughput can
>     Nginx achieve when serving a large number of small pages to a large
>     number of clients (the maximum number supported)? How does Nginx
>     achieve its performance? Is the epoll event loop all done in a
>     single thread or are multiple threads used to split the work of
>     serving so many different clients?
>      >
>      >             thanks in advance
>      >             James Read