update failure

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri Jul 22 07:47:10 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 07:58:51PM -0600, Jim Taylor wrote:

Hi there,

> Installed nginx a couple of days ago, everything appeared to go as it
> should.  This evening a was going to add some programs, and was stopped cold
> at my first command.  What do i need to do to go forward?

This is more a "debian" question than an "nginx" question, but my best
guess is:

> root at D-00:~# apt-get update
> Hit:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security InRelease
> Hit:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye InRelease
> Hit:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates InRelease
> Ign:4 http://nginx.org/packages/debian 'lsb-release InRelease

Wherever your list of sources is configured (possibly
/etc/apt/sources.list?) has the string "'lsb-release" (with a leading
single quote) where it should probably have the string "bullseye".

I wonder... did you follow the installation instructions at
http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html#Debian? If so, perhaps there
was a typo when writing the line

    http://nginx.org/packages/debian `lsb_release -cs` nginx" \

and "'" was used instead of "`"?

(That's not exactly right, because of the _/- difference.)

If that is what happened, then: edit the file

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/nginx.list

as root and change the line that has 'lsb-release to end in

    /debian bullseye nginx

and then repeat the apt-get update.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org