Problem with basic auth on nuxtjs frontend with wordpress backend

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri Jul 22 08:06:02 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 10:19:28AM -0400, strtwtsn wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm trying to add basic authentication to a nginx reverse proxy which is in
> front of a nuxtjs app.

> But if hangs. I've also tried it in the location section, but this hangs
> too, what am I missing?

What does "it hangs" mean?

As in:

* what request do you make? (ideally using something like "curl", to
avoid any extra-browser complications)
* what response do you get?
* what response do you want instead?

And possibly:

* what do the nginx logs (access and error) say about this request?

>From your config, a request of the form

    curl -v https://your-server/TESTING

should return information about the SSL negotiation; and after than
succeeds, should return a http 401. And then

    curl -v --user your-name https://your-server/TESTING

should have curl ask you for the password, and then should give a
different response when using a wrong password and when using the
correct password.

If this happens:

> nothing actually appears in the network page

after you have submitted credentials, then something has gone wrong on
the client side. When you hit "submit" or "go", the client should make
a network request and the network page should show that request.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org