compiling nchan from source

Sergey A. Osokin osa at freebsd.org.ru
Tue Jun 14 02:20:53 UTC 2022

Hi Ian,

hope you're doing well.

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 11:13:07AM +0700, Ian Hobson wrote:
> On 21/05/2022 10:37, Sergey A. Osokin wrote:
> > On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 09:53:05AM +0700, Ian Hobson wrote:
> >>
> >> I compile nginx from source. When I use nchan-1.2.12 everything compiles
> >> clean.
> >> However I tried to upgrade to nchan-1.2.15 and I get a compilation error.
> >> Google told me the same error was reported back in February.
> >
> > nchan-1.2.15 builds well as a part of the FreeBSD www/nginx-devel port,
> > and that's what I'd recommed to use.
> >
> Changing the production O/S would be a lot of work, so its possible but
> not attractive.
>
> I wonder if the problem is some conditional compilation that has been
> corrected for FreeBSD and not for Debian/Ubuntu?

No additional patches.

> > [...]
> >
> >> Could it be the version of gcc OR is it conflicting with openssl3.0.3,
> >> pcre-8.45, or zlib-1.2.12?

On FreeBSD 13.1: clang13, openssl 1.1.1o, pcre 8.45 and zlib from the base
system.

> > The issue is probably related to the OpenSSL version 3, so in case it's
> > possible I'd recommend to avoid of usage of that version at the moment.
> Tried compiling with openssl-1.1.1n and got the same errors.

OpenSSL 1.1.1o-freebsd from 3 May 2022 is here and everything works
just fine.

The vendor has released new version 1.3.0, [1] recently, so you can try
to use the recent one and report how it goes.