Load Balancing NTLM over HTTP with NGINX

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 17:13:11 UTC 2022

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 10:30 PM Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I want to load balance NTLM through NGINX. For this I used the
> following:
>
> upstream backend {
>     ip_hash;
>     server localhost:8080;
>     server localhost:8081;
> }
>
> server {
>     location / {
>         proxy_pass http://backend;
>         proxy_set_header Jespa-Connection-Id $remote_addr:$remote_port;
>     }
> }
>
> This also seems to work fine but I have doubts.
> Can NGINX use the same TCP connection to a backend server to send requests
> of different client connections?

Nevermind. As long as the Jespa-Connect-Id uniquely identifies the client,
it doesn't matter what the NGINX to backend connections are. They can be
the default 1.0.

So load balancing NTLM with my implementation using the above nginx.conf
directives works great. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted this.

NGINX is great software BTW. It handles proxying so gracefully it's
fantastic. Nice work.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen