Why the info 'A worker can handle no more than 1024 simultaneous connections' has been removed from http://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html ?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Nov 16 19:52:29 UTC 2022

Hello!

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 03:31:14PM +0000, Masseau Olivier via nginx wrote:

> Previous we could find this very important information on the
> "nginx for Windows" page ( http://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html
> ) :
>
> Known issues
> A worker can handle no more than 1024 simultaneous connections.
>
> Why has it been removed ?
> I struggled a lot understanding why increasing
> worker_connections above 1024 was not working on Windows.

As you can see from the source code repository of the nginx.org
site, the relevant item was removed along with the documentation
of the poll event method being supported on Windows (introduced in
nginx 1.15.9):

http://hg.nginx.org/nginx.org/rev/4795c2ae5066
Added the "poll" method for Windows.

With the poll event method, as long as it is supported by the
Windows version you are using (Windows Vista or later), nginx will
use the WSAPoll() function, which, in contrast to select(), does
not impose a hard-coded limit on the number of connections.
You'll have to use the "use poll;" in your configuration to
instruct nginx to use the poll event method, see
http://nginx.org/r/use for details.

Note though that with poll there might be other issues, such as
failure to report connect() errors till the timeout expires (see
https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2012/10/10/wsapoll-is-broken/ for
details; shouldn't be a major issue in case of nginx though, since
errors while connecting to backend servers aren't expected to
happen).

Also note that Windows isn't really designed as an efficient
server platform, and nginx is not really designed to work on
Windows.  Running nginx on Windows in production setups might not
be a good idea.

Hope this helps.

http://mdounin.ru/