How to patch and/or upgrade Nginx from source in production environment?

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:49:23 UTC 2022

Nginx is an easy build from source, thankfully.

Deploying tarbal'd local source-builds to other machines is not terrible at all if you isolate your install DIR (e.g, 'everything' under /opt/nginx); ansible is your friend.

But, it's a bit of a slog to deploy into usual distro env, avoid collisions, and if needed, cleanly uninstall.  Certainly doable, but can be messy.

To solve for that inconvenience, build your own packages from own sources on an open build system (e.g., SUSE's OBS, Fedora's COPR, etc), and install those packages via rpms.
Or for that matter, even local rpmbuilds should be portable, as long as you correctly account for differences in target deployment ENVs.

yes, rpm .spec files can be annoying. it's a trade-off.