help with https to http and WSS to WS reverse proxy conf

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Sep 11 08:43:23 UTC 2022

On Sat, Sep 10, 2022 at 05:47:29PM -0700, Michael Williams wrote:

Hi there,

> Can someone with fresh eye please review this config and tell me why
> requests are infinite redirection to https?

I suspect that whatever you are proxy_pass'ing to is seeing that it
is getting a http connection, and it has been configured to insist on
having a https connection.

In this particular case, your "listen 80 default_server" server
block presumably includes "localhost"; and so your "proxy_pass
http://localhost:80;" directive is talking back to that. Which is where
the loop is.

So - proxy_pass to something that will return content.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org