Duplicate Content-Length header with same value, recent change in behavior intentional?

Thomas Ward teward at thomas-ward.net
Wed Apr 19 13:14:25 UTC 2023

I don't think NGINX has any default duplicate header handing and hasn't really.  My guess is that you've simply not seen this behavior in the past.

You can suppress the backend header:

proxy_hide_header Content-Length;

Note that the behavior hasnt changed and only *certain* headers remain default-hidden from the backend - I don't believe Content-Length was ever one of them.

Sent from my Galaxy

From: Jesse Stimpson via nginx <nginx at nginx.org<mailto:nginx at nginx.org>>
Date: 4/19/23 08:57 (GMT-05:00)
To: nginx at nginx.org<mailto:nginx at nginx.org>
Cc: Jesse Stimpson <jstimpson at relaypro.com<mailto:jstimpson at relaypro.com>>

Hello,

I've noticed a recent change in behavior that occurred between releases 1.22.1 and 1.23.4, and I'm unable to find this particular change documented.

If an upstream proxy sends a response with duplicate Content-Length headers, both of the same value, nginx 1.22.1 allows the response to be sent to the client, removing the duplicate. However, nginx 1.23.4 (and 1.24.0) responds to the client with a 502. I did not explicitly test with any other versions.

I won't try to make any claims on the correctness of either behavior, but it is a change that may affect some workloads.

Here is an example response that exhibits the change:

"""
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: http_tcp
Connection: Closed

Hello World\n
"""
------

jstimpson:[~/dev/c/nginx-1.22.1]: curl -i localhost
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/1.22.1
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:17:05 GMT
Connection: keep-alive

Hello World

-----

jstimpson:[~/dev/c/nginx-1.23.4]: curl -i localhost
HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway
Server: nginx/1.23.4
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:13:09 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
ETag: "643fd39e-1f1"

---------

These tests were done with this simple config, the rest of the conf is defaults.

        location / {
            proxy_pass http://localhost:4040;
        }

Is this change intentional? Did I overlook it in the Changelog?

Thanks,
Jesse