FAQ Suggestions

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Feb 20 12:07:55 UTC 2023

On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 05:49:48PM -0800, Ivo Welch wrote:

Hi there,

> thank you, F.  I created a completely new ubuntu VM, with a completely
> vanilla configuration and only this one extra location statement at
> http://164.67.176.22/  , describing the nginx configuration and
> referencing its /wth, and it's not working :-( .

For the convenience of future searchers, it would be better to include
the content at that url in the mail directly.

In this particular case, I suspect that the key line is

> try /wth, which nginx should resolve to
> /var/www/fcgi-bin/wth-root.html. However, this causes a 404 error.

When you make the request to /wth and get the 404 response, what is
written in the nginx error log? That will tell you what nginx thought
that nginx was doing; if that does not match what you thought that nginx
should be doing, that might point at the problem.

I suspect that the issue is a misunderstanding of what "root" does --
http://nginx.org/r/root. That content also includes a link to "alias",
which might be what you want, depending on what you want to have happen.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org