QUIC Stream and Server Push support

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sat May 20 01:01:32 UTC 2023

Hello!

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 06:57:04PM -0500, Dustin Marquess wrote:

> I noticed that QUIC Stream and QUIC Server Push support were
> removed in
>
> https://hg.nginx.org/nginx-quic/rev/113e2438dbd4
>
> And
>
> https://hg.nginx.org/nginx-quic/rev/f742b1b46901
>
> I'm curious on what the reasoning was, given that none was given
> in the commit messages?

These features weren't considered to be usable enough to be merged
into the mainline branch, hence were removed before the merge.

For QUIC in the stream module, see this message, which provides
detailed explanation:

https://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx/2023-April/CZ5L6KMLLZNDP2R6TGAX5MN4VLQA3U3R.html

For HTTP/3 Server Push, the main reason is that Server Push is not
generally usable, and, in particular, not supported by browsers
(notably, removed from Chrome, see
https://developer.chrome.com/blog/removing-push/).  Removing
HTTP/2 Server Push support is also planned sometime during nginx 1.25.x
development cycle.

http://mdounin.ru/