headers do not work

Roman Arutyunyan arut at nginx.com
Mon Apr 29 12:27:28 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 05:19:48PM -0400, Saint Michael wrote:
> I am not using openresty as a proxy but as a web server. Twitter
> requests an image, and it sends the HTTP request with header
> "Finagle-Ctx-com.twitter.finagle." This makes nginx abort the
> operation.
> I need the operation to be completed as designed.  For that, I added
> underscores_in_headers (on or off) makes no difference.
> ignore_invalid_headers on (on or off) makes no difference
> any ideas?

It's very strange that "ignore_invalid_headers off" did not work for you.
It disables this error and makes nginx treat the problematic header as normal.
Please double-check this.  There's no other part of code in nginx that would
generate an error like that.  And the part that does, can be disabled by
"ignore_invalid_headers off".

Also, skipping the header should not abort the request.  Please check the
error log for the real reason why this is happening.

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 8:20 AM Roman Arutyunyan <arut at nginx.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > On 25 Apr 2024, at 8:10 AM, Saint Michael <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I keep getting this error
> > > *356 client sent invalid header line:
> > > "Finagle-Ctx-com.twitter.finagle.Retries: 0" while reading client
> > > request headers, and twitter cannot read my twitter-card
> > > yet, I do have
> > > underscores_in_headers on;
> > > ignore_invalid_headers on;
> > > in the http{} block
> > > How do I force nginx to disregard any illegal headers?
> >
> > What exactly do you mean by disregard?
> > Do you want nginx to skip them or allow them to pass?
> >
> > The "ignore_invalid_headers on" directive (which is also the default) explicitly enables skipping them, and this fact is reported in log.
> > Turn it off and those characters (dot in your case) will pass.
> >
> > ---
> > Roman Arutyunyan
> > arut at nginx.com

Roman Arutyunyan