Windows ARM64

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jan 2 21:50:39 UTC 2024

Hello!

On Tue, Jan 02, 2024 at 11:03:03AM +0000, Anthony Roberts wrote:

> A small introduction - I work on Linaro's Windows on Arm enablement team,
> and we work on porting/enabling various open-source projects for the
> platform.
>
> We have recently done a small investigation, and it turns out nginx can be
> compiled OOB on Windows ARM64 platforms with VS2022 - an example run from
> our internal nightlies can be seen here:
> https://gitlab.com/Linaro/windowsonarm/packages/nginx/-/jobs/5742208111

Yep, there shouldn't be any problems with building, at least when
building nginx itself and/or when building OpenSSL with "no-asm".
In more sophisticated cases, some adjustment might be needed, see
https://hg.nginx.org/nginx/rev/3c4d81ea1338 for an example.

If you'll find any issues and/or need any help, don't hesitate to
write here or in the nginx-devel@ mailing list.

> With the advent of things like Microsoft's Azure Windows ARM64
> instances[0], and various client devices, it is a growing platform. Our
> partners (Microsoft and Qualcomm) would be interested in seeing a release!
>
> Is an official Windows ARM64 build something you have considered? Would you
> consider it?

As of now, there are no plans to publish additional official nginx
for Windows builds.

Note well that nginx for Windows is in beta and unlikely to be
considered production ready in the foreseeable future
(https://nginx.org/en/docs/windows.html).  Its main purpose is to
facilitate web development directly on Windows devices.

http://mdounin.ru/