Status code 0

Sébastien Rebecchi srebecchi at kameleoon.com
Mon May 6 09:33:22 UTC 2024

Hello!

There is nothing regarding this issue in nginx logs.

Now I think the issue is not with nginx itself, but in front of nginx, with
Linux itself.
We monitor using curl, and it seems that curl can print status code 0 when
it can not establish a connection with the server.
I think the Linux kernel is not configured properly to handle our
connection peaks. Looking at net.core.somaxconn, we have the default of
128. More generally, I will deep dive into this and possibly other kernel
settings to see if optimizing them will solve the problem. For information,
on each of our servers we have an average of around 80K simultaneous TCP
connections globally and around 35K in state ESTABLISHED (according to
netstat/ss -nta), and more during high peaks.
I saw this doc section which is a good starting point
https://www.nginx.com/blog/tuning-nginx/#Tuning-Your-Linux-Configuration
If you have any advice on other settings to increase, this would be very
appreciated.

I will keep you in touch about my investigations, to confirm at least that
there is no bug on nginx side, which i am quite confident about now.

Thank you very much for your help!