NGINX has moved to Github!

Paul paul at stormy.ca
Fri Sep 6 19:48:17 UTC 2024

On 2024-09-06 11:11, Roman Arutyunyan wrote:
> Hello from NGINX!
>
> Today we're thrilled to announce that the official NGINX Open Source development
> repository has moved from Mercurial to GitHub [1][2][3], where we will now start
> accepting contributions in the form of Pull Requests. Additionally, starting
> today, we will begin accepting bugs reports, feature requests and enhancements
> directly through GitHub, under the "Issues" tab. Moreover, we've moved our
> community forums to the GitHub "Discussions" area, where you will now be able
> to engage in conversation, ask, and answer questions.

Does this mean that this list and/or your nginx.org dies on 31 December
2024?

I have tried to follow F5 and nginx internal differences for some time.
Maybe I should have seen the creation of freenginx as "writing on the
wall."  I, like some or many of my colleagues, will not migrate to
github (maybe has some good points, but destroys your "named corporate"
identity.)

What is the position of major (Redhat, Canonical, etc) Linux
distributions?  Can we rely on continuing reliability?  What "free"
and/or "paid" licensing agreements are you planning?

Many of us use nginx only as a reverse proxy.  It's fast and efficient.
I flat out refuse to get into politics, but your announcement is not
re-assuring.  Do we need (fast? before year end?) a fall-back position?

Thanks -- Paul