Ruby app with non-system Ruby

megatux at gmail.com megatux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 20:37:25 UTC 2019

Ah, cool. That makes total sense.

Now I'm having issues trying to configure the ruby module with using my
Ruby installation inside my local directory (using the "asdf" ruby plugin),
but I will create a GitHub issue for this. (autoconf's ruby rbconfig looks
ok to me) :

$ ./configure ruby --module=ruby-2.6.0
--ruby=/home/megatux/.asdf/installs/ruby/2.6.0/bin/ruby
configuring Ruby module
checking for Ruby library ... not found
checking for Ruby library in /home/megatux/.asdf/installs/ruby/2.6.0/lib
... not found

./configure: error: no Ruby found.

Regards

El mar., 29 de ene. de 2019 a la(s) 17:00, Valentin V. Bartenev (
vbart at nginx.com) escribió:

> On Tuesday 29 January 2019 16:07:55 megatux at gmail.com wrote:
> > I see. That should work, thanks.
> > Now, doesn't this compile-time list of available runtimes limit the
> > "dynamic" nature of the service?
> > e.g. I'm thinking in the common scenario of upgrading one of the runtimes
> > because of a security update.
> > This involves starting a new process and move all of its apps &
> listeners,
> > right?
> >
> [..]
>
> Unit has much more advanced architecture then most application servers.
>
> Unit contains an asynchronous router process, that deals with connections
> and doesn't deal with laguages.  In order to run an application, another
> process is forked.  Only after the fork, it loads a required application
> module in this new process.  This application process then starts
> communication with the router process to serve requests and responses.
> So, the modules are loaded only inside the application processes that
> don't deal with client connections.
>
> When you have to update your application module because of security issue,
> you don't need to restart the whole Unit.
>
> This allows to handle this scenario gracefully with restarting only
> application processes without touching listening sockets and connections.
>
> Currently Unit scans modules directory only once in order to know
> what languages and versions are available.  In future, it will be able
> to rescan this directory, and that will allow not only updating of
> existing modules, but also adding new languages and versions dynamically.
>
>   wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

   .^. In an open world, who needs windows or gates?
   /V\   Cristian Molina <http://www.megatux.me/>
  //  \\   GNU/Linux User #73047, Ubuntu User # 14733
 /( _ )\       Merlo, San Luis - Argentina