SPDY increasing size of pages

Valentin V. Bartenev ne at vbart.ru
Wed Aug 8 10:40:14 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 08 August 2012 14:14:07 Tom van der Woerdt wrote:
> Quick tests show that my 805 byte file became a 813 byte response, which
> seems consistent with the 8 byte header of a DATA frame.
>
> Question: do we really need to include that into the size? Just like the
> response headers aren't counted, why should the protocol overhead be
> counted

This is how it is in nginx now. For example, if a response has been sent over
HTTP with chunked transfer encoding, the $body_bytes_sent also will not equal
to payload size.

Personally I do not really agree with that, but it should be discussed and
changed globally.

> Note: after refreshing the server responded with a 304 Not Modified but
> it did log it as 813 bytes. Once I disabled SPDY, it logged a 0-byte
> response. Both responses came without a content-length header so I am
> assuming that the server didn't actually send a response body and this
> too is a counting issue.

Strange. How do you found out that it responded with 304 Not Modified?

 wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev