question about ngx_http_named_location

Vladimir Shebordaev vshebordaev at mail.ru
Wed Aug 29 18:42:47 UTC 2012

2012/8/29 Anatoli Marinov <toli at webforge.bg>:
> "Must" is not a good reason.
> Is there a case that requires this behavior.
> In my use case I use internal redirects from location A to location @B. In
> location @B I try to read an exported variable which is actually located in

Well, module contexts are dynamic, they are created by appropriate
handlers and are destoryed when the request is terminated. An internal
redirect handled as a different request of special kind, that is why
the module contexts are (re)initialized, i.e. zeroed out as if they
were just allocated in ngx_http_init_request().

> module context and the module set this variable in location A but in @B all
> previous contexts are missing and I lost all previously set states and
> variables.

Basically, it looks like bad design, the redirect is a request on its own.