[nginx] Configure: skip building OpenSSL documentation to conserve time.

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Feb 21 13:16:17 UTC 2016

Hello!

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 04:09:23PM -0800, Piotr Sikora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Configure: skip building OpenSSL documentation to conserve time.
> >
> > The install_sw target first appeared in OpenSSL 0.9.7e and is documented since
> > OpenSSL 1.0.0 as the way to install the OpenSSL software without documentation.
>
> What's the oldest OpenSSL version supported by nginx now?
>
> Last time I tried to push this exact change [1][2], Maxim told me that
> it's not going to be accepted because nginx supports OpenSSL-0.9.7
> [3].

And the same change was previously rejected as well, with the same
reasoning:

http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx/2012-August/034889.html

Now we are moving away from OpenSSL 0.9.7 support, targeting
OpenSSL 0.9.8 as a minimum supported version.

This patch effectively limits minimum OpenSSL version nginx is
able to build to OpenSSL 0.9.7e, though older versions are still
supported in the code.  Support for older versions is likely to be
removed from the code in the upcoming nginx versions.