body capture and redirect

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Sep 11 12:55:37 UTC 2018

Hello!

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 10:58:29PM -0700, Dk Jack wrote:

> Hi,
> In my module, I am trying to forward the request to my server based on the
> content of the request body. To acheive this, I've added a body capture
> filter to capture the body. My code is something like this...
>
> static ngx_int_t
> nginx_inspect_body_filter(ngx_http_request_t *r, ngx_chain_t *in)
> {
>
>     ... // extract body
>     if (if_content_of_interest_in_body(body, body_length)) {
>         ngx_str_t uri = ngx_string("/my_location");
>         ngx_http_internal_redirect(r, &url, NULL);
>         ngx_http_finalize_request(r, NGX_DONE);
>         return NGX_DONE;
>     }
> }
>
> I have the following conf for '/my_location':
>
>   server {
>      location / {
>      }
>      location /my_location {
>          proxy_pass http://myserver;
>      }
>    }
>
> However, I am running into an issue with my code. The request seems to get
> forwarded to my server like I expected. However, my connection seems to
> hang. Looks like the server seems to be waiting to read more data from
> nginx. When I interrupt my server (ctrl-c; its a simple python server), it
> sort breaks out of the read loop and a response is returned. Sending the
> same request to my server without sending it through my module in nginx,
> behaves correctly.
>
> Could someone more experienced in nginx, point out what I am doing wrong?
> Is redirect allowed from a body filter handler? Thanks for your help in
> advance.

Assuming the "nginx_inspect_body_filter" function is installed
into the request body filter chain via the
ngx_http_top_request_body_filter, what you are trying to do is
wrong.

You cannot stop reading the request body at arbitrary time and
switch to different processing.  This will leave the body
half-read, in an inconsistent state, and this in turn will cause
various problem during further processing.  That is, connection
hang you see is an expected result.

In the request body filter you have to either return a fatal
error, or raise some internal flag for your processing, and then
act on this flag after the body is fully read.