flash streaming

Jonathan Vanasco nginx at 2xlp.com
Mon Oct 9 04:54:03 MSD 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 8:01 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> By "flash streaming" they mean "flash video streaming" (flv files).
> It's used for video.
>
> You don't need anything special to do .flv streaming. The only thing
> that the LightHTTPD module does is allow you to start at an arbitrary
> key frame in the video. YouTube doesn't even have this feature yet,
> but Google Video does. It's not really that big of a deal.
>
> -bob

I've been out of flash land for a while, but from what I heard--

	Macrodobe dumbed down the flash player to not support http range
requests so they could sell 'Flash Media Server'
	People got pissed off, and started making new servers that spoke the
protocol
	Then existing servers ( like lighttpd ) started integrating the
functionality

It's neat to have, but considering that lighttpd does it already- and
that portion of their code doesn't seem to leak, it would be trivial
to just proxy from nginx to lighty on a higher port to handle it (i
singled lighty out, because i've heard that all the flash-centric
servers take rather large footprints on memory and cpu )

flv is also used for audio-only tracks.  i've used it quite a bit for
online media players.