No Vary header sent on gzipped response

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Mon Jun 18 12:25:20 MSD 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 04:02:37PM +0800, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:

> According to my reading of this message from Henrik of Squid fame, it
> is supposed to be
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200703/0259.html

In this message I do not understand the following:
-------
Note: always responding with gzip is ok, even without vary.
-------

My opinion on gzipping to transient proxies is following:

*) do not gzip repsonses for proxied requests at all - "gzip_proxied off",
   it's default

*) gzip only non-cachable responses:

   gzip_proxied expired no-cache no-store private
                no_last_modified no_etag auth;

I prefered to not use the "Vary" header, because early MSIEs (4.0-5.01)
cached poorly responses with "Vary" header. However, now MSIEs (5.5+)
caches responses if they have "Vary" header AND "Content-Encoding: gzip"
so "gzip_vary  on|off" may be added.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/