No Vary header sent on gzipped response

Igor Sysoev is at
Mon Jun 18 12:25:20 MSD 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 04:02:37PM +0800, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:

> According to my reading of this message from Henrik of Squid fame, it
> is supposed to be

In this message I do not understand the following:
Note: always responding with gzip is ok, even without vary.

My opinion on gzipping to transient proxies is following:

*) do not gzip repsonses for proxied requests at all - "gzip_proxied off",
   it's default

*) gzip only non-cachable responses:

   gzip_proxied expired no-cache no-store private
                no_last_modified no_etag auth;

I prefered to not use the "Vary" header, because early MSIEs (4.0-5.01)
cached poorly responses with "Vary" header. However, now MSIEs (5.5+)
caches responses if they have "Vary" header AND "Content-Encoding: gzip"
so "gzip_vary  on|off" may be added.

> On 6/18/07, Seun Osewa <seun.osewa at> wrote:
> >Is it supposed to?
> >

> >On 6/18/07, Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg at> wrote:
> >> Hi, It would seem that nginx is not sending "Vary: Accept-Encoding"
> >> header when sending back a gzip response with Content-Encoding: gzip

Igor Sysoev