No Vary header sent on gzipped response

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Mon Jun 18 12:36:56 MSD 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 09:17:41AM +0100, Seun Osewa wrote:

> Wow.  I've learned something today.  Thanks!
> So without the Vary header, clients without
> gzip support might recieve gzip-encoded responses.

Yes. But if proxy does not support "Vary" header, it may send
cached compressed to client that does not understand gzip.

And here we have two cases:

1) in Internet there are still many proxy servers that does not
   support Vary at all.

2) there are many browsers that does not understand compressing:
   if MSIE 5.5+ configured to work via HTTP/1.0 proxy it never sends
   "Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate" and does not decompress gzipped

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/