Any problems with large number (160) of upstream servers (mongrels)?

Alexander Staubo alex at purefiction.net
Sat Nov 3 20:26:45 MSK 2007

On 11/3/07, Jonathan Dance <jd at wuputah.com> wrote:
> I was trying to proxy to a large number of upstream servers (mongrels)
> today and while it was working great proxying to 80 mongrels, 160
> mongrels seemed to be a different matter.

Nginx does not reuse connections -- for every request, it connects to
the upstream Mongrel, sends the request, reads the response and then
disconnects. This probably does not scale very well to lots of
upstreams; a lot of time and system resources will be spent just on
TCP and socket bookeeping.

What was the load like when you experienced the problem?

Alexander.