Should upstream backends be disabled if they are down?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ez at engineyard.com
Wed Nov 28 07:19:05 MSK 2007

Hi Folks-

	I'm seeing some odd behavior with proxied backends. I had a cluster
of 4 mongrels behind an nginx server with 4 entires in the upstream
block. I took one of these mongrels down but did not change the
upstream setting to only have 3 servers instead of 4. Nginx does not
disable the backend that is no longer there though. Every 4th request
will throw an error because there is no backend on that port

	Shouldn't nginx recognize that a backend is down and not send any
more requests to that backend? It doesn't seem to recognize when a
backend is down.

	I am not specifying any proxy_next_upstream directives so the default
should be to move on to another backend right?

This is with nginx 0.6.6   and nginx 0.6.16 on
Linux 2.6.18-xenU #1 SMP Fri Jun 15 17:50:34 PDT 2007 x86_64 Intel(R)
Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @ 2.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Thanks
- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Founder & Software Architect