monitoring for load balancing

Grzegorz Nosek grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 14:51:28 MSK 2007

Hi Ben,

2007/11/28, Ben Reubenstein <benr at x-cr.com>:
> If I understand the current proxying system correctly, it is just a
> simple round robin.  So when a request comes in the requests are
> handed out from the first process and so on.  This can cause a request

Yep, this is correct (though the exact round-robin method apparently
changed between 0.5 and 0.6, with regard to peers having weight != 1).

> to be "stuck" in line.  There is a fair scheduler in the works, more
> info here:
>
> http://brainspl.at/articles/2007/11/09/a-fair-proxy-balancer-for-nginx-and-mongrel
>
> As far as monitoring the individual processes, I will often just pop
> into the box and take a look via various *nix tools.

upstream_fair does not provide any statistics to the outside world
currently, but I want to implement some, once any bugs are ironed out.

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek