performance overhead when allocating many small buffers with the pool

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sun Oct 14 22:33:44 MSD 2007

Hi.

In my mod_wsgi implementation (function wsgi_build_environment) I need
to copy each of the HTTP header and wsgi params in Python objects.

In the current implementation I just allocate a buffer, copy the content
in it, and then create a Python String object.

I'm assuming that using an allocator pool, allocating small buffers is
cheap, but I would like a confirmation.

An alternative implementation is to allocate only one buffer, using the
max lenght required, and reusing it for every Python object.

Thanks  Manlio Perillo