load-balancing with timeout? Send request when timed-out to a different box?

armin roehrl armin at personifi.com
Fri Sep 21 13:29:42 MSD 2007

I use nginx for load-balancing. The request comes in and let's say nginx sends it to server1.
Server1 fails, is the request than automatically sent to server2? After what time? Can I change
this time-interval?

If nginx sees that server1 is down, how long will it not send requests to it? Or does nginx
not care about and simply send the request and if server1 is down, the request gets after
some time automatically sent to server2?

My config looks like this:

http {
    upstream myproject {
        server weight=1; #server1