Hit counter persistent variables

Chris Savery chrissavery at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:22:04 MSD 2008

Hello,

Is there a way to have hit counter variables that would save every hour
or persist across restarts?

I'm working on a photography site that I expect to be serving a huge
number of thumbnail (static) images. I don't need full logging of the
thumbnails so I've turned if off for that location but it sure would be
nice to keep some tracking of how many are served and perhaps at what
rate. I thought maybe just a counter variable that increments on each
hit in that location but it wouldn't be too useful unless it could save
to file from time to time, or perhaps append a count to a file every
hour so there is a time series log.

I saw there is a traffic logging RRD module but I wonder if that is
going to impact the ability of handling high activity rates? If that
were turned on for small static images (target: 4k each, 25 /page, 200+
users online) would it slow things down quite a bit? What would be an
upper limit on users "active" in such a scenario?

Chris :)