nginx for webhosting company

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sun Aug 31 17:32:56 MSD 2008

Robert Gabriel ha scritto:
> Is it possible to use nginx for a web hosting company, like every users
> can set his/her "rewrite" options, without "restart" of nginx and
> without need of root access. I am asking something on the idea like
> shared hosting, or hosting similar to Cpanel hosting, but without Cpanel
> of course.
>
> If its possible, could anyone give me some examples?

This is not possible with Nginx.
You *need* to restart all the worker processes.

What you can do is to write a control panel that users can use to modify
the configuration for their hosts, but warning the user that each
modification will take effect only after n minutes.

Then you can setup a cron job that every n minutes check if
configuration files have been modified and send an HUP signal to nginx
master process.

Manlio Perillo