nginx + git + trac (without Apache)?

Stefan Scott lists at
Tue Dec 2 06:33:13 MSK 2008

Hi -

I've already installed nginx + php-fpm + xcache on a VPS (virual private
server) with 500MB RAM and now I want to install a distributed revision
control system (eg, git) and a bug/issue tracking system (eg, trac). Can
I run nginx + git + trac without installing Apache?

Most of the work I'd be doing would involve building Drupal and Rails
sites, plus I'd sometimes work on other projects involving
less-well-known "formal" languages where I'd be collaborating with
students in other countries - so it sounds like I need a distributed /
decentralized revision control system such as git, rather than a
centralized system like svn. And if I can deploy Rails using thin
(rather than Apache) - then maybe I don't need Apache at all?

I found some posts which seem to indicate that people can use git with
just nginx and without Apache - but maybe lacking some features
involving WebDAV:

And here's some posts which seem to indicate that people can use trac
with just nginx - but in the post from below it also
mentions "access to subversion via Apache mod_dav_svn" and I can't
figure out they're saying I need Apache installed, or I could
*optionally* have it installed:

My instinct tells me that nginx + git + trac without Apache would be a
lightweight and fast combo but I'm hesitant to try doing this until
someone actually confirms that it makes sense.

- Stefan Scott
Posted via