NGINX + Subversion + HTTPS and 502 Bad Gateway error

Mario Gazzo mario.gazzo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:30:12 MSK 2008

Hi,

Could only find one entry about this on the NGINX mailinglist but
without any answer, so maybe there is someone who can help me with
this. I get the following svn error when I try to create a branch:

"svn: Server sent unexpected return value (502 Bad Gateway) in
response to COPY request"

After googling around there was some indications that this could be
related to running subversion over https behind a reverse proxy
although I must admit that I am not entirely sure about this. I have a
subversion server running under Apache with WebDAV and NGINX in front
as a https reverse proxy. Below you will find an example of my NGINX
configuration. I am still running version NGINX 0.7.19. Maybe its just
some configuration stuff missing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Mario

worker_processes  1;

events {
     worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
     include    mime.types;
     include    proxy.conf;
     default_type  application/octet-stream;

	log_format   main '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] $status '
                       '"$request" $body_bytes_sent "$http_referer" '
                       '"$http_user_agent" "$http_x_forwarded_for"';

	access_log   logs/access.log	main;

     sendfile        on;
     keepalive_timeout  65;

     upstream subversion_hosts {
           server  192.168.1.136:80;
   	}

     server {
         listen 443;

		ssl    on;
		ssl_certificate    /etc/ssl/certs/mydomain-ssl.crt;
		ssl_certificate_key     /etc/ssl/private/mydomain-ssl.key;

         server_name  www.mydomain.com;

         location /myproj/repos {
         	proxy_pass http://subversion_hosts;