NGINX + Subversion + HTTPS and 502 Bad Gateway error

Gena Makhomed gmm at
Mon Dec 15 19:57:30 MSK 2008

On Monday, December 15, 2008 at 16:30:12, Mario Gazzo wrote:

MG> "svn: Server sent unexpected return value (502 Bad Gateway) in
MG> response to COPY request"

MG> After googling around there was some indications that this could
MG> be related to running subversion over https behind a reverse proxy
MG> although I must admit that I am not entirely sure about this.

because nginx pass to backend https:// url in Destination header.

but http:// and https:// urls can not be mixed in COPY request.

workaround available:

        location /myproj/repos {

                set $fixed_destination $http_destination;
                if ( $http_destination ~* ^https(.*)$ )
                    set $fixed_destination http$1;

                proxy_set_header        Host $host;
                proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
                proxy_set_header        Destination $fixed_destination;
                proxy_pass              http://subversion_hosts;

MG>          server_name;
MG>          location /myproj/repos {
MG>                 proxy_pass http://subversion_hosts;