Nginx feature request

Hendrik Hardeman hendrik.hardeman at
Mon Feb 11 01:21:40 MSK 2008

Thanks for the suggestion.

The solution you offer seems workable for a smaller number of files, but I'm not sure how such a cron job would scale with lots of files (potentially thousands) added and deleted on a regular basis. Cron jobs also require cpu time and harddisk access - even more so if I'd want a finer resolution than 5 minutes.

I'd rather rely entirely on the filesystem itself. Just create a file with the appropriate mtime (with a resolution of seconds rather than minutes) and then forget about it - as nginx could take care of the rest. Replicating / scaling would also be very straightforward.

Well, just an idea. Is probably not very useful for anyone else, so I don't expect much support for my feature request :) Will probably end up implementing it myself.

> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:13:51 -0800
> From: eliott at
> To: nginx at
> Subject: Re: Nginx feature request
> How about a cron job that runs every 5 minutes, and sets a file with a
> future mtime as non readable, and a past mtime as readable?

Post free property ads on Yello Classifieds now!