high bandwidth configuration help

Jodok Batlogg jodok at lovelysystems.com
Mon Feb 25 20:08:09 MSK 2008

On 25.02.2008, at 17:41, nginx.mailinglist wrote:

> Increasing buffer size and number of workers from 1 only made things
> worse, at one stage the laod started spiraling above 20 its down to
> 4 now on the 2 servers
>
> Right now im very screwed, the performance loss from switching to
> nginx is killing the servers, i also setup 2nd server identically
>
> the graphs speak for themselves :(
>

> server converted yesterday
> http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6753/31857516tg7.png
>
> new server to the left of the dip is lighttpd
> http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3734/59174322lt9.png
>

> im now very screwed as i was gonna relly on nginx's accel-redirect
> feature and lighttpd 1.4.18 has it, im testing lighttpd1.5 svn now
> but i dont know how stable that be,
> sorry for being so down :'{ i feel like crying this was certainly
> the worst case scenraio when is started migrating, a 10-20% drop in
> bandwdith usage between all the servers will mean 1000-2000$ loss
> due to wasted costs

hey man...
why on earth are you changing your production server setup when you
know that you have troubles?

calm down, and start thinking... probably switch back to your old
setup and try the new setup on some development server first? did you
try the suggestions you received earlier?

sorry, but i don't feel any sympathy with you.

jodok

ps.: we're able to serve between 400 and 500 mbit with a single nginx-
server with no significant load. (but with enough memory for kernel
disk cache, large raid controller memory and really fast discs)

--
"Beautiful is better than ugly."
   -- The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters

Jodok Batlogg, Lovely Systems GmbH
Schmelzhütterstraße 26a, 6850 Dornbirn, Austria
mobile: +43 676 5683591, phone: +43 5572 908060