Protect streamed files from being downloaded

Reinis Rozitis r at roze.lv
Wed Jul 2 23:37:34 MSD 2008

The problem is - all you can see/hear on web you can get (traffic dumping  /
screen grabbing / soundcard capturing and so on).

Point is to make it pretty useless and frustrating for the users who want to
snatch all of your site and one of the way to do it is by just limiting the
bandwidth ( http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpCoreModule#limit_rate ) .
It is probably not so good on video content but streaming audio (progressive
download) works nice - you just set up the speed limit just enough to play
without delays and thats all.  To get all the content a user must wait full
length of the playtime and usually it is where the raw download attempts
end. Of course you may say that its only per connection then again there are
also limits to those.

rr