URL rewriting: last versus break

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 12:32:06 MSD 2008

On 7/3/08, Roxis <roxis at list.ru> wrote:

> wiki didn't help?
>
> location / {
>    rewrite ^/foo$ /foo.php last;
>    rewrite ^/bar$ /bar.php break;
> }
>
> location ~ \.php$ {
>    proxy_pass ...;
> }
>
> request /foo will return proxy_pass response ("location ~ \.php" will be used)
> request /bar will return source code of foo.php ("location /" will be used)

doesn't this mean my current approach is overkill?

        server {
                listen 80;
                server_name foo.com;
                index index.php index.html;
                root /home/foo/web/foo.com/;
                include /etc/nginx/defaults.conf;
                location ~ \.php {
                        fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:11002;
                        fastcgi_index index.php;
                }
                location /admin {
                        auth_basic "private";
                        auth_basic_user_file /home/foo/web/foo.com/.htpasswd;
                        location ~ \.php {
                                fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:11002;
                                fastcgi_index index.php;

according to what it sounds like above, i could do this right the
right keywords (break vs. last) in the right spots.

i need php to execute under the location /admin directory... i posted
this question a couple weeks ago, but it sounds like it might be
doable using the strategy above. however, which goes where?

do i have to use some sort of rewrite to trigger it all?