Nginx health checks

Barry Abrahamson barry at automattic.com
Wed Jun 11 00:16:12 MSD 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Alexander Staubo wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Barry Abrahamson <barry at automattic.com
> > wrote:
>> We have about 350 web servers behind Nginx so it is a semi-regular
>> occurrence that one of them fails for some reason (usually
>> hardware).  Pound
>> has a dedicated health check thread, that would perform the health
>> checks
>> and then mark servers up/down as appropriate.
>
> HAProxy also offers this kind of periodic health check. You can set it
> up to request a specific URL by HTTP, and the intervals can be
> regulated according to whether the server is down, up or in between.

Yeah, in my testing, the performance of HAProxy was less than stellar
and I couldn't figure out how to get it to spawn multiple process to
use multiple CPUs.  Also, I would like to avoid adding another layer
if possible.

--
Barry Abrahamson | Systems Wrangler | Automattic
Blog: http://barry.wordpress.com